Saturday, February 23, 2008

Top Cruise Book



My friend and fellow scholar of the western culture that is Hollywood and I saw the Unauthorized Biography of Tom Cruise on a recent outing to Barnes and Noble. She (ever the voice of reason in our relationship) noted that is was more of a library book than a buying book so I went and got my name on the list so that I could see what secrets of Tom Cruise I needed to be aware of. Here are the major points and my impressions of the book so that you can decide if it is worth your time or not.


1. Scientology is dark and it really affected me in a weird way when I was reading about the details of it. According to the book, they target people for recruitment based on the demographic they can influence not as individuals (a la Beckhams and Lopez).


2. Nicole Kidman was an ice queen in the marriage and Tom was the one essentially chasing her. She also liked to find tiny details in the housekeepers jobs to complain about instead of noticing how well everything ran for her.


3. Tom Cruise was with that Colombian actress (I know more Colombians taking over the world :) weeks before proclaiming his love like an idiot on Oprah.


4. He has full custody of the kids and Nicole has only a webcam and phone relationship with them... when it was time for her to have them last time he sent them to a Scientology camp. The pic of them at the Lakers game was extremely uncommon.


5. The dislexia he claims to have been cured from by scientology has a couple of alternate stories -- one being that he was helped extensively in elementary school and was fine by middle school and the other being that his mom worked at home with him.


6. Scientology really is about aliens and stuff like that. They believe that there are Thetans on your body that make you unable to know what is really religious truth or not and that they have to be removed in a session where you are in room with your e-meter and you are talking to things asking them to identify themselves.


And last but never least 7. Tom appears a smiley and agreeable until he gets away from the camera then he is either blank or demanding and controlling...


Those are some highlights. Katie Holms info was not new but still sad how it seems like she got duped. And for the Ryan-ish readers I will add something of substance after all of this fluff... e=mc-squared.

1 comments:

Ryan said...

Thanks for the shout out. I heard about this book in the news and Cheyn is super excited about it. Does it really allege that Katie homes was inseminated with L. Ron Hubbard's child?

I read a book when I was in LA "The encyclopedia of Scientology" It was about 500 pages and I didn't
come away with much about doctrines or beliefs as I did with five minutes of reading on Wikipedia.

Scientology is fascinating, even though as a psychiatric social worker, I may be labeled a "Suppressed Person" and enemy to Scientology.
Cheyn told me you saw this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBZ_uAbxS0), but did you see this one too?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYBTlI1-fHg
Tom Cruise, Bless his heart.