Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's like Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzah all mixed together!




I promise that it is NOT a secret wish of mine to be a book reviewer, but I have to share my excitement that Augusten Burroughs has finally written a new book. Who? He's the one who wrote Running with Scissors which is pretty famous but not really my fave. I found out about him a couple of years ago and made the mistake of devouring his books like there was no end to them... except there was and then I was forced to check his website in hopes of the new book.


The new book, A WOLF AT THE TABLE, came out today and even though I had a BORING workshop about science today, I stopped at Barnes to get it (Don't even let me start talking about how this workshop was in a disgusting building in Garner and how my friend Cheyney just went to a work-related-conferencey-thing in CHARLOTTE... Wake County is tops with creative destinations).


I am having to really pace myself with this book because I want to read it all tonight but then I'll be left to re-re-re-read my other favorites so I know I need to go slowly


Anyway, if you haven't picked up one of his books, you might should. His ability to tell stories and use words is amazing esp. since he didn't even go to High School. I'd start with anything other than Sellevision or the cliche Running with Scissors just so you can really know what he's about without reading his first published book or his most famous. Plus, since Running with Scissors is a memoir of a pretty sick childhood it is not for the weak of eyes.


Now it's David Sedaris's turn to write a new one.

1 comments:

Ryan said...

From what Cheyney tells me Charlotte wasn't super fancy either. Plus Garner, I mean they have awesome stip malls, a Bojangles, what else could you want?

If you have any copies around lend one our way so we can read it. Or tell me which one I should reserve at the library. I know Cheyney loves anything you recommend. I wouldn't mind checking this one out.