Monday, September 15, 2008

This Could Get Good




Those of you who know me know that I am by nature not a confrontational sort. I'm actually a pretty big wuss unless I've had it -- then maybe I'm still a wuss but one who at least acts mad. For a while now, I've been regaling my husband with IDIOT posts from the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" site. The stupid posts range from "I don't like when my boyfriend who was an alcholic when I met him goes drinking with his friends and passes out on their couch" to "My mother-in-law sucks and the only person I can ever trust is my mother". We giggle about how it just proves anyone can get pregnant and then we move on. Tonight I didn't just move on. Witness the amazingly real post that was on the board tonight:



Terrible Baby shower **vent**

From:
eratchley (693845)
5:08 pm
To:
ALL
(1 of 18)

11153.1
Ok so call me selfish. I didn't get much at all for my baby shower. Ok i guess i should be grateful that I got anything at all, but I am mad. Ok so my husband's family is not wealthy and this shower was from them. We got a lot of hand me down clothes and a few bibs and burping clothes. Oh and 2 diaper genies so I can take one back and get what I wanted. Ok my mom and dad got us a crib that is costing like $500 and his parents are getting the car seat and stroller. But we went to a shower a couple weekends ago and they load up on everything. My mother's family is basically non existent and my dad's family is dead and he doesn't know the other half. The only thing I can look forward to is my work and my husbands work are having showers for us, and hopefully, Cross my fingers, we will get something more than hand me down clothes.


OH NO SHE DI-ENT!!!


I quickly looked at her profile picture and decided that I could take her if the need should arise so I furiously typed this response (following all of the simpering "poor you replies from other readers):



From:
lamonitadevelasquez (13079287)
9:04 pm
To:
eratchley (693845) unread
(18 of 19)

11153.18 in reply to 11153.1
I am still trying to pick my jaw up off of the floor. Ever tried gratefulness? Yikes! These people didn't even have to come to your shower. And comparing what your parents are financially able to do for you to what your in-laws are able to do is hurtful -- if it was a contest, it would have been only fair for you to let them in on the rules! I hope your husband hasn't heard you griping about this because if he has, I guarentee it made him feel about 1 inch tall -- no matter how much he tries to laugh along with you.
Reality check: 1. You are not entitled to presents. Most of us are buying a lot of our own things anyway b/c it is no one else's responsibility to supply our baby with essentials. 2. You are not entitled to people celebrating your great news. With this kind of attitude you are lucky anyone bothered to bring anything -- I'm sure if they read your comments they would wish they had not bothered. 3. What people buy you does not determine how much they love or care about you.
People do what they can and a little thankfulness would go a long way in making your memories of this day one hundred times better.


I'm dying of anticipation to see if she'll man-up and reply (something along the lines of 3:00 and the flagpole would seriously rock!), but I'm guessing she'll probably not -- what with my logic being so tight and all. I'll certainly post any replies I get... bad or good. It's not like I was hoping for Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzah cards from these sweet ladies!

5 comments:

ridgeandjenny said...

Can you say rampantly commercialized, mercenary culture!?! I understand being angry if no one shows up for your shower or if people give you books with titles like, "Pentecostal Woman Life: How to Manufacture Submissivity" or "Ten Reasons to Slap Your Child Stoopid". Anyway, to be upset because people didn't give you stuff is a classic spoiled brat mentality that should be slapped down with aplomb!! We have been lucky to be given many things for our children, old and handed down, and have always appreciated everything. If a show down is imminent, electronically or otherwise, I got yo back!

ridgeandjenny said...

Oh, and by the way, in some cases I am fully supportive of the Chinese system. Having to apply to even attempt to become pregnant would turn many people away in the first place. The paperwork involved would certainly surpass the energy threshold provided by a couple of Mt. Dews.

cheyney webb said...

While on a remote island in Greece, I didnt think my day could get any better... until I read your blog. Good job at calling her out on it.

ridgeandjenny said...

I think you are pretty cool for using words like that. Kids will invariably look at you in a strange fashion when you use words like that. Wonton behavior is certainly not welcome but it sounds cool enough that your kids might act wontonly just to hear you say it.

Wendy said...

Hi Christy--You don't know me, but I'm Ryan's sister (as in the Cheyney and Ryan duo)--I linked to your blog from Jenny and Ridge's blog. I must say that this post is one of the best I've ever read. And your response is so dead on! I'm glad you took this girl on! I'll be at the flagpole at 3 for backup. Keep us posted (ahem, pun) if she dares write a response. Seriously so well written--you should write for these baby sites.