Wednesday, December 3, 2008

One month old


Today Gabe the Majestic is one month old.  Besides having a milk mustache, he celebrated the day by making my life.  


So, this is what happened:  I went to school to 1. return the laptop I borrowed to work on report cards with since I no longer need it since I'm Mac-ing 2.  visit the 23 best creatures at Leesville 3.  to attend a staff meeting called so that staff could fill out a survey about the principal (I'm a big fan so I wanted to be sure that I got to express my appreciation for her).

I was gone about 3 hours by the time I drove there and did all of the things I needed to do.  When I got home, the mother-in-law a.k.a "the reason I don't have bags under my eyes" reported that my boy had not slept AT ALL while I was gone -- this from the woman I was considering getting an agent for so we could get her a show on National Geographic called the Baby Whisperer.

She proceeded to try to feed him, give him his passy, talk to him -- nothing could shake his fussiness.  Finally she passed him to me and... swear on a stack of David Sedaris books that boy closed his eyes and went to sleep.  A few minutes later he opened his eyes a crack and smiled this very satisfied smile and went back to sleep.  Kind of reassures me that if I were to ask him "Who's your mamma?" he'd actually know. 

So help me if one person says one word about that smile being gas...  

4 comments:

Ryan said...

aww. precious. what a good looking baby.

the mccollums... said...

ahhhhh....so precious!! I have to say that your writing is laced with even more wit since becoming a mama...that was one good piece!! I LOVE IT! You are his mama!

Erin McG said...

I'm about in tears this story is so sweet! Being able to be the only one to soothe your own baby has got to be one of the GREATEST gifts on this earth! He was just waiting for you to come. I love the imagery of you coming home, holding him and him nestling in for the nap he'd been waiting for and then giving you that sweet smile that says "mommy, ahhhhh".

Judy said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're enjoying motherhood! It sounds like your little guy loves his mommy a lot. Glad to hear the MIL is a blessing!