Monday, July 14, 2008

At long last


I know that it has taken me too long to post but I'm really in a long-lasting bad mood about actually having to go back to work to earn money. It's not that I don't like my job -- it's really the best job ever. My glorious and wonderful TA and I have the greatest time schmoozing with the kids and teaching them important life lessons along the way, but the problem is that I like being at home and having a clean calm house even more.


Also, I am beginning to look at childcare options for the little Velasquez and I am seriously raging that I can't just strap him into a Baby Bjorn and bring him to Kindergarten. Last year's class could have TOTALLY handled it but there is def a OSHA policy about this.


So since you have other things to do besides reading paragraphs about why I don't wanna go back to work, I will condense them into a list:


1. I like not waking up to an alarm clock.

2. I like reading my email and checking Perez Hilton BEFORE I consider breakfast.

3. I like how my house looks when I am not too tired to pick up clutter.

4. I like having time to bake the dogs bones with healthy ingredients.

5. I like to go by the school to pick up a book or two then leave.

6. I like seeing Jools sacked out in her crate with the door wide open even though there are pillows and chairs she could also choose.

7. I like making a journey walking down the driveway to get the mail instead of driving by on my way in the driveway.

8. I like having the flexibility to drive to Target at 1:25 if I feel like it.


I started to feel like that line in the play Our Town where they start listing the good things about their town that they never paid attention to until it was too late... told you I'm in a rare mood!


So, here's to my last full week off. Next week I have a stinking staff development and 3 teacher workdays... so here's to living it up!

4 comments:

the mccollums... said...

I am so with you--except for the dog-making-biscuit thing...ha ha, you do that?? :) JK. I so liked last summer when I came home from a glorious 2 week honeymoon to a whole month of not working and then at that only working half day...this summer I am being pulverized by schedules, lunch making, lesson planning and piles of laundry.

Hedgie said...

Okay - so here is my plan to get you ready and excited to be back in school. Lots of trips to Starbucks (or anywhere else you and little baby Velasquez desire)! It worked last year and I am hoping the magic is still there. You know I beleive Starbucks can cure ANYTHING!! I will also have a daily reminder why you love coming to work - especially, the obvious one of course, seeing me every day!! :) Knowing you, within a week or two, you will be madly in love with the class and have given them all great nicknames! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Judy said...

Well, I must say that I loved staying at home with Christian when he was little. He was an extremely difficult baby (that's an understatement), so I think I would have completely lost my mind if I had to go to work on top of taking care of him. But now that I'm on the other side I'll admit that I really miss working sometimes. I would love to put up a bulletin board or check a few papers. I did teach intermediate, so sometimes all these little kids drive me insane and I long for the days of a fifth grade classroom. Some days I wish I could work just so I could pay someone to clean my house. So I just thought I would point out that there are pros and cons to both. Maybe to help you get back in the spirit of teaching I'll make you a list of why going to work is great-HeHeHe!
1. You get to have adult conversation.
2. You have an excuse for not having a dinner plan.
3. You'll loose baby weight faster because you won't be surrounded by all the snacks in your house all day long (this one is an issue for me).
4. You get to wear nice clothes and not just old t-shirts and yoga pants everyday (although I do love comfy clothes - so maybe that's not such a good one).
5. You get to make an eternal difference in the lives of a whole classroom full of children.
6.You probably won't wake up to an alarm anymore. Baby V. will be taking care of that one for you!

cheyney webb said...

I will definitely miss our mid afternoon play dates of going to get massages and lounging by the pool (with entertainment). But I am also very excited to hear all the fun and funny details of your new class. And if I have to wake up to an alarm, you do too.
xoxoxo