Saturday, July 26, 2008

We Need to Talk




Alright, we have an issue. I haven't been writing on here because I really didn't have anything that was worth trying to make entertaining to read... but now I do. The issue that I have had for about the last week, in particular, is catch-phrases. I think that I see a lot of annoying ones at school because teachers have to write so many newsletters and we really don't have time to be creative with every line that we write, but here are some of the big offenders (in no particular order):


1. It's that time of year again. Kathryn (TA to the stars) and I have decided to keep the newsletters that go home from PTA or other sources as well as emails that start out with this one-time meaningful phrase. It used to be that teachers would write that on momentous occasions like the first day of school. Now we see it on everything including a sign-up for a blood-bourne-pathogen training.


2. Going green. I'm all about helping the earth not waste away un-necessarily, but this phrase has come to mean any paper-skimping done because you don't want to use your copies or a trendy guilt-trip method to make sure the lights helper doesn't forget to turn out the energy-wasting lights.


3. Not so much. I will never forget the first time I heard that phrase and thought it sounded quirkily New-York-Jewish-Mom. After hearing a particular mom in last year's class (think bathtub pillows if you're curious who said this and you know my school stories) in reference to her child's lunch choice, I realized that the phrase had already gotten to the trendy-phrase-seeking-wanna-bes-who-drive-Mercedes-SUV's-and-hope-you'll-notice and it was instantly ruined. A favorite friend of mine with a great parking place at work says it, but she also says very funny things about cherry-flavored prophylactics so we can still be friends.


4. ... so they might get bored I love that parents assume that since their kid was a) in a good preschool b) in transitional Kindergarten or c) retained their child will be bored at the beginning of the year. Believe me, there are no kids that are Mensa enough to be bored with the kind of drama that Kathryn and I bring on a daily basis. We've been working on some new lines already (thank Hey-juice for those 3 workdays) so even kids from our own class last year would be stunned into listening.


Okay, there are more. I know that there was one more I was thinking of yesterday that occurred to me in Target, but pregnantly, I can't remember it. Oh and don't even get me started on how teachers love to put cutesy phrases like "goodies" in quotation marks in their thank you notes... Maybe this means we'll have a "We Need to Talk Part Deux"!

6 comments:

cheyney webb said...

Ahhh. Getting ready for the first day of school. I cant wait to hear all about it. I am looking forward to Part II.

Judy said...

I totally concur with the "going green" one! It's totally over used and annoying at this point.

the mccollums... said...

ha ha ha....i LOVE your new found writing topic!!!! :) so true, so true...and I agree with Judy and your comments that many of those are quite annoying. Keep up the writing...I want to hear more.

the mccollums... said...

and one more thing....if you don't add a prego pic in there soon of your cute, growing-boy tum, I'm going to scream...or something...don't make me do it, don't make me do it!!

ridgeandjenny said...

Its that time of year again, you need to just put your nose to the grindstone, because the children are our future. Don't let the man bring you down! Stimulate your mind, Craig cause they might get bored. When you're busting your hump nine to five, remember its just another day in paradise. The early bird gets the worm I tell you and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Make love not war and if you need "me" time, think to yourself, not so much. Lick the plate and lick the kaiser!! Hasta la vista, baby!!

ridgeandjenny said...

I am certainly glad you enjoyed it. I mostly feel as though I am a goober but at least people can laugh at me. And yes!! Our lil' home town has a Wal Mart!!!!