Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Side of the Crack-head's Story





I always like the rewrites of famous children's books like the one where they told the story of the Three Little Pigs through the POV of the wolf. I have one of those re-writes. As you can see from this link: http://cheyneyandryan.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-first-bike-ride.html, my friend tells a story of success and victory, but I have a tale of crack-headedness at its finest. I give you the story of "Cheyney the Strung-out Bike Addict":




So there I was sleeping in after a strenuous day of massages and swimming when my doorbell rang. Assuming (as Cheyney describes) that it was the neglected Children of the Corn from down the street who are obsessed with playing with my dogs, I tried to ignore the door. The knocks continued until I headed for the door ready to turn those children back in the direction of their mother who must be designing an underground railroad since she is always to busy for them.




Instead of two little faces looking in the window beside my door, I saw the frantic look of Cheyney. Since I do like her and since she didn't come to play with the dogs, I let her in. It seems that she had ridden her bike 21.3 MILES that is right MILES to my house with no cellphone, wallet, or list of top-ten list of favorite SNL moments.




This is not 21.3 miles of curving country roads, this is 21.3 miles of mostly HIGHWAY. My one consolation in life and death is that Cheyney's husband is a social worker at the much-acclaimed Dorthea Dix (home of some of the best mental healthcare in the city of Raleigh) and if such behavior continues, I am assured that he will step in.




To further assess her mental state, I agreed to swim with her -- but only for more observation. The cool perfect water had nothing whatsoever to do with my choice! Friends make those kinds of sacrifices for friends... even crackheaded ones.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

HA! love it. I need to keep better track of Cheyney. Next time she goes missing I'll call you before we have to put out an amber or silver alert.

Wendy said...

Glad you saved Cheyney's life that day!

ridgeandjenny said...

Cheyney is a very valuable person. This cannot be denied. Thank you for including us in your favorite blogs ya'll! We appreciate being welcomed. And also, big congratulations!!

ridgeandjenny said...

Christy, I love reading your blogs. You are so clever and funny. I'm letting Ridge do our blogs because he is so much more crafty and cute about these things. Have ya'll picked out a name yet? Hugs and kisses, Jenny

ridgeandjenny said...

We do try to have fun or else it would mean the looney house for us. I wish we could live a spartan, German, Sprockets-like existence surrounded by metal, with our children suspended from the ceiling in Baby Bjorn harnesses, while we throw food at them from the corner... Now we dance!! I'm only kidding of course, our kids bring light and wonder to our world and make it an infinitely more interesting place. Do ya'll have a name for your boy yet??

Judy said...

Check out www.blurb.com to have your blog turned into a book. You can download some free software and then you create your book and somehow order it. I just downloaded the software today and I'm going to go ahead and get my blog turned into a book pretty soon (whenever I have the time to figure it out). My blog is getting pretty lengthy, so I want to get it printed now before it costs me more than a tank of gas!!