Thursday, June 5, 2008

Pregnancy-related symptom


With Carol's comment in mind, I am writing today about a pregnancy related symptom that has been slowly creeping up on me. It's nothing awful like throwing up, but this is what I have to offer:

During the night, I've been waking up to find my wedding rings TIGHT and to get relief I've put my hands in cold water and that has taken care of it. Well, today (my last day of work for the 2007-2008 school year, amen) I was repeatedly bothered by the discomfort caused by my too tight rings.

When I told Kathryn (my glorious TA who has an anecdote for everything), she told me about how she went to Walmart to buy a cheap band when pregnancy swelling made her put her rings away.

I don't know how many of you remember those janky Walmart commercials where people bragged about the good deals they got on their wedding rings at Walmart, but I do know that Luis and I mercilessly made fun of the cheesiness of the commericals. We still can't walk by the jewelry counter at Walmart without ragging on those commericals. Time out to say that this is not a commentary on the actual jewelry there and if you did get you symbolic jewelry there, more power to you, I'm sure you probably paid the most reasonable price -- but really, those commercials?!

Well, Kathryn and I went to the Walmart to look for storage bins for the school's new handwriting program and we decided to glance at the bands... $15! The lady who was working the counter was a pure hoot and was a good sport for us. So here is my silver band. I later called Luis to inform him that he had been a "single" man for about 35 minutes (while my rings were carefully put away so we could eat lunch and drive to Walmart) -- but that he could breathe easy knowing that no one would be judging me for being an unwed momma anymore.

So there you are. Isn't that the way life goes? You make fun of something, and you almost always end up doing just what you made fun of. I am morphing into more and more of a dork!

6 comments:

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol said...

Not what I meant about preggy pictures but I think you knew that! Smarty pants! haha! I bought a ring when mine got too tight too! I then wore it behind my other rings for 10 years or more before I finally had it sized! haha! Still wearing it today!
Great story!

June 5, 2008 10:48 PM

the mccollums... said...

Great post!! I love that you have a Wal-Mart ring...actually, for $15 thats not bad at all! I'm going to do that when we move to Africa, put my rings in a safety deposit box and go fake for a few months. :)

But, I am with Carol, we need preggo pics... :)

cheyney webb said...

Brilliant! Ryan and I took cheapo rings to Fiji on our honeymoon in case someone lost theirs. Good thing we didn't have to saw it off your finger.

Ryan said...

Looking at the picture at first I thought the post was about anger related to pregnancy.

I wish I knew walmart sold rings back when I was getting engaged...

Judy said...

I just went with the unwed pregnant look for the last two months!! Be prepared...right after I had McKenna I swelled up horribly (feet, hands, face). I couldn't even get my shoes on to go home from the hospital and there was snow on the ground - fun, fun. Apparently that happens sometimes, although it never happened with my first kid. Who knows!