Monday, March 31, 2008

Dexter


Luis and I found a new addiction this weekend. For a few weeks my glorious and wonderful TA at work has been telling me that I need to watch Dexter. That sounds like a cartoon character so I put it off until I was absolutely BORED this weekend. I downloaded the pilot on itunes and at first I was wondering what this lady thought I would enjoy about a serial killer (little does she know, huh, TDT!) but after about the 1/2 way point I was addicted.


Basically it is a story about Dexter (his last name) who is a forensic guy who specializes in blood. BUT here is the kicker that makes it 10x's better than CSI -- he's not a good guy, but he's not a bad guy either. At nights he gets the people who get away with their crimes (ie a drunk driver who keeps getting off after killing people) and he kills them. See, he's horrible but for a good cause? Anyway, you can get it on Netflix or on itunes if you don't get showtime.


Here is why I like it:

1. The plot progresses through the episodes -- nothing gets solved in 1 hour.

2. Dexter is not hard on the ol' eyes -- at all -- not even a little bit.

3. There aren't many times that you have to suspend reality. I hate that about a lot of movies and shows. The writing sucks and you have to work hard to believe it.

4. Just the right amount of gore. You know they're bleeding and their intenstines just fell onto the shrubs but it leaves you guessing about how long it takes the worms to come.


Be warned, it is on Showtime because of the gore but if you like real drama this is great. Can't wait to watch Season 2.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The blood splattered face, YIKES. Maybe I can watch an episode with you. I am excited for you to watch Freaks and Geeks.
Hope to see you soon.

Ryan said...

I cant handle blood at all...cant watch medical or murder shows or movies. Wish I had the stomach for it.

Trace Gibson said...

Sorry to invade your blog, but I LOOOOOVE Dexter. Love it. I'm not proud that I get hooked on forensic shows, but it is what it is. By-the-way, I have a terrible memory, but if you hung out with Cheyn in ninth and tenth grade I'm sure I must have known you...right? Thanks for letting me peek in.