Sunday, November 9, 2008

Skinny Feet


One of the very few pregnancy side effects that I had were FAT feet. My ankles and feet got so swollen that I had to wear socks or husband-crocs to work since my own shoes didn't even close to fit. I never had morning sickness or any of the other horrors but believe me, I will NEVER take skinny feet for granted again.


So this time a week ago, I was hardcore into my 22 hour labor and here is a list of some of the more memorable points of the experience:


1. 4:30 in the morning wake up to water breaking (after a dinner of pizza @ Cici's -- connection? You be the judge).

2. 6:30 arrive @hospital in no real rush since contractions have not started.

3. MD can't get a sample PROVING that I really broke my water so we have to make the decision to go ahead with the drug that starts the contractions anyway (she later determines that, yeah I was right).

4. Contractions got to 20 on the monitor and they gave me the 1st epidural that didn't take.

5. They gave me the 2nd one and I was feeling good ... I apparently even felt good enough to call my college roomie D'Arcie (although I don't remember calling her).

6. I threw up and threw up and was encouraged to "get used to it, vomiting is part of life" by the kind and generous nurse named Cheryl.

7. They pulled Gabe out and put him right on me with all of the stuff still on him for Luis to cut his cord and Ryan had a good point about that. It is all about presentation and if they were wanting me to take him home shouldn't they have cleaned him up first?

8. They cleaned him up and he was absolutely PERFECT.


We've survived the first week as parents and we have loved looking at every expression (especially the way he moves his forehead and mouth) and hearing every squeak and sound and changing his little diapers. And the one thing that I never thought I'd say: I love having skinny feet again.

6 comments:

Judy said...

Isn't he so sweet! What a precious picture! Glad to hear that your feet have returned to their normal size. I'll never forget going to outdoor camp for a week with my fifth grade class when I was 8 months pregnant with Christian. At the beginning of the week my shoes fit, by the end of the week I literally had no shoes to wear and had to borrow a pair of flip flops one of the other teachers brought to wear in the shower! Yuck! I quite teaching two weeks later...never to return. Well, I'll probably return, I just haven't yet!

Ryan said...

You have good looking baby,sand were happy for your feet.

cheyney webb said...

Now you can change your blog to Velasques TRIO!!! Hip hip hooray for a beautiful baby. I am looking forward to many diaper changes and hours of coo watching.

the mccollums... said...

OH MY GOODNESS>..that is the BEST blog that I have read in a long time (no offense to any other bloggers out there) but seriously how could they compete with this beautiful pic of Gabe, quotes from mean ole' stuffy nurses with terrible bed-side manners...and the whole presentation quote! I am sure you are having a great time being a mom...Gabe is one special dude!! I can't wait to see more pics...love ya!! Give him a kiss for me.

Erin McG said...

Yay for skinny feet! I had the same problem you did. Very fat and swollen feet, no matter how long I kept them propped up. I think the last 2 months of the pregnancy I was reduced to wearing a pair of Nike flip flops. It is amazing how your baby pops out and within 2 short days your feet start to resemble their former selves. Enjoy! That pic of Gabe it to die for. He is too cute!

the mccollums... said...

i love the new look of your page!! Way to go, mama!! What a sweet pic of Gabe too!